When I saw this cardigan, I loved the neck detail and the buttons. I was sure that I could flip that over and make a hat using the neckband as a headband. Didn't know how, exactly, but I was pretty sure I could do it. Plus, for $4, how could I go wrong?
Like with the cashmere hat, I cut open the seams -- but not completely! I needed some of the sweater to complete the bottom of the beret. I cut the sides open to the armpit, and the seams of the raglan sleeves a little.
I placed the round beret pattern piece over the top of the sweater, to get a general idea of how far out I needed to cut, in this case, about three inches out from the neckband.
|I couldn't find any chalk, and my tailor's pencil wasn't marking the knit, so I used a crayon.|
|Looks awful, but it worked fairly well.|
I had initially planned to line the top part of the hat with some extra suit lining, but decided not to after recalling what a pain in the butt the satin was from the cashmere hat. I sewed around the edge with a quarter-inch seam allowance, then did a tight zigzag between that and the edge to prevent raveling.
It ruffled the edge beautifully! I turned the hat right-side out and topstitched through the zigzag (inside), right along the edge of the hat. I wanted to stiffen it a little more.
I went around a second time in the same place, this time pulling the knit taut using both hands to encourage ruffling and reenforcing the hem.
|In these photos, I had not yet done the handsewing of the buttoned cuff.|
|Those seams did curl a little, but not very noticeably from the outside.|
I am going to need to annex that closet soon...