Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kaleidoscopic Spider


Most people have little or no use for spiders, no respect or reverence for the work they do, the abilities they have. I am not one of those people. I don't want to be bitten by them, and I startle as much as the next person if I am leapt upon by one, but I think spiders are cool. The myth of Arachne is a favorite of mine, though it doesn't show Athene/Minerva at Her best.

The photo (above, top) was taken last July. A really magnificent spider had a large web running from the corner of the garage to the fence - good-sized guy, really. Unfortunately, my photo is grainy and dark, so it's not the best capture in the world. I ran it through the kaleidoscope action in Photoshop, a total of 3 iterations. I bumped up the color saturation, too. The cloudy day that the photo was taken didn't do much for the color of the spider, all rusty browns and oranges. (I'm not positive what kind of spider it is, but it may be Araneus diadematus, a European garden spider - if I had a photo of the dorsal surface, I could positively ID it.)

No comments: