Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Year in Hats

I started making hats at the end of December. Then in January, this happened:
I had a crazy thought this morning, before the caffeine hit my bloodstream: Wouldn't it be awesome to make a hat a day? Then I realized how insane that would be; 365 hats?! Even if I gave a bunch away, what it the hell would I do with them all? OK, hat a week, then, my idiot brain says. No -- 52 hats is still unmanageable. Fine, how about one a month? Fine. Fine. OK! (Ahem... everyone has conversations with themselves, right..?)
This post is the chronicle of hats, with new and improved photos (for most of them) and links to the posts and/or tutorials where applicable.

The Prequel (Dec. '12)

Month One (Jan. '13)



Month Two (Feb. '13)


Month Three (Mar. '13)
  • (Not So) Quickie Beret (reversible)
  • March's Hat: Flowers (beret)
  • refinished old berets 
  • Recycled Sweater Beret (painful lesson learned: some hats look like dog toys to a dog)
  • Ombre Sweater Hat (beret, sort of)
  • DC pieced beret 
  • Wonder Woman berets (2)
  • oval "fur" pillbox (not satisfied with this one, and will be reworking it)
  • craft felt mini top hat (using a very modified version of this pattern)
  • recycled knit shirt berets (4)
  • felted wool sweater beret (unfinished)
  • dragon hat (pattern from Fleece Fun) -- sadly, I don't seem to have a photo of this, and I gave it away






Month Four (Apr. '13)

[cue crickets chirping]

Month Nine (Sept. '13)


Month Ten (Oct. '13) 

Thirteen months later, the number of hats made ended up being... 34! (I'm not counting the modifications I made to the berets already had. Those were made for me by my mother years ago, and really all I did was add a band to them.) I'm disappointed with myself that I was unable to do a "theme" hat every month, but so many things conspired against me, including my own inability to focus on anything for too long. Still, 34 hats over 13 months is pretty impressive...

No comments: