Monday, May 23, 2011

Paper Tole

Paper tole is not a new idea. I recall it had some popularity in the 1970s, and I remember having a Holly Hobbie plaque or two with this technique. Basically, take several copies of the same image, cut them so you have several pieces you can layer using foam tape or cardboard, etc., so your layers are raised up from one another.


I used what I hoped would be a simple enough image that it would be clear where my different layers were. Since I was just playing, to see if I could make it work, I printed my mandalas (4 of them) onto white cardstock.


I found some foam tape that I was able to cut into small pieces, and assemble, and I started with the smallest (highest when finished) piece first.


One of the mandalas yielded two different pieces: the hexagonal "ring" and the six-pointed central star.


I think it turned out well for something I more or less dashed together. Trying this with photo paper will be next.

No comments: